No matter how well we treat our bodies, sometimes sickness is inevitable. Winter is the season of Vata, which is also the time when cold symptoms are especially prevalent. As you prepare for the transition into spring, take care of yourself.
If you're feeling like your immunity is getting a little weak, here are a few tips to strengthen the immune system and fight off potential sickness.
- Elderberry has incredible immune supporting properties
- I take 1 Tbs every 2-3 hours
Eat light, especially foods that are pungent/spicy or containing vitamin C (like citrus fruits).
- Both Vitamin C and spicy foods help burn up access kapha (mucous) in the body
- If we eat light (vata type foods), the body will spend less time digestion and more time healing itself
- Prop 1 or 2 pillows up just enough so that your head is higher than your heart & make sure your neck is comfortable
- This will help the mucous drain, rather than building up in the throat/nasal cavity
- Give yourself an opportunity to move and breath some fresh air
- While it is important to be gentle with the body when it is healing, it is also important not to be entirely static
- Considering taking a brisk walk to revitalize prana