THE ART OF OIL PULLING
Oil Pulling has long been used in Ayurvedic practices as a method to draw out toxins (known as ama) that accumulate in the mouth.
1) Choose an organic food-grade oil that will not gross you out -- I prefer coconut or sesame.
2) First thing in the morning (after scraping your tongue) take 1 Tbsp of oil by mouth & swish.
- It is best to do this on an empty stomach.
- I generally oil pull first thing in the morning while I’m still easing into the world, washing my face and preparing my tea - the time goes by really quickly!
- Remember to glide the oil along and between teeth, as well as under the tongue and all the way back toward the molars.
3) After 15-20 minutes, spit the oil out (in the trash or compost)
- If 15 minutes feels like too much at first, start with 10 and work your way up.
*Optional, but important: SALT WATER GARGLE*
4) Mix ½ tsp mineral salt (ideally himalayan pink salt) with 2/3 cup of warm water
5) Swish 1 large sip of salt water (do not swallow)
6) Rinse by retracing the pattern of the oil for about 15 seconds
7) Spit salt water out
- This should leave the mouth feeling clean & free of oil residue.
- It can also be a great preventative measure for sore throat and congestion.
*And n ow, one last ACTION FOR PREVENTION*
7) Again, take a large sip of salt water (do not swallow)
8) Tip head back & gargle for about 20 seconds
9) Spit & repeat process two more times
- Decreased ama (toxins/bacteria) in the mouth, which may manifest on the skin as acne
- Increased ability to taste all six tastes
- Prevention of bad breath & gingivitis
- Whiter teeth
- Prevention of mucous (kapha) buildup that leads to sinus congestion
- Strengthening of jaw